SMART ART FOR GROWING MINDS
A note from Surya & Dave…
Did you know that babies develop in so many ways during their first five years that it dwarfs everything they learn over the rest of their lives? Neither did we. Until 2002, when we had our son and studied everything we could get our hands on about babies’ development, that’s when we discovered that…
• newborns can only see as far as 12 to 15 inches away (around the length of your forearm and hand)
• they are most taken with their parents’ faces
• they are drawn to simple but repeating geometric shapes in black and white
• at around 6 months of age, they begin to recognize animal forms, later calling them by name
As a graphic designer with a background in Chemistry, Botany and Zoology, Surya along with Dave who was a teacher, was fascinated by the idea of helping our baby’s brain develop by literally playing with visuals. We built a fun and creative world of animals and nature themes, thoughtfully designed to entertain and educate. We take into account each stage of child development to encourage learning through play. Each of our safe and sustainable learning toys for babies are founded on years of research to support your little one’s growing mind.
WHY BLACK AND WHITE
Before a baby learns to reach and grab with their hands or crawl and sit-up, their eyes are providing important information and stimulation for their development. A baby’s brain undergoes an amazing period of development from birth to three — producing more than a million neural connections each second. High-contrast imagery offers the best opportunity for newborns to focus on visual stimuli and promotes visual exploration and engagement.
More than just entertainment, visual focus on a stimulus such as art cards can foster a sense of calm and coherence in visually busy spaces. A card placed over a diapering area can be used to redirect attention of wiggly infants, making diaper time a little easier on parents and caregivers. Furthermore, intriguing imagery invites commentary and conversation, encouraging adults to engage more with baby.
Wee Gallery toys and products are safe for babies and children, are made from natural and sustainable materials, and follow ethical standards of manufacturing.
- FSC certified paper and soy-based inks
- GOTS-certified organic cotton
- Many products are 100% organic cotton, some have poly fill
- Polyester fiber fill is OEKO TEX certified
- Small runn productions by trusted partners